The Western Philippines University is a state higher education institution located at Aborlan, Palawan. The University began as the Aborlan Farm Settlement School for the Tagbanuas (an indigenous cultural community of Palawan) in 1910. It became the Aborlan Agricultural High School in 1928, and the Palawan Regional Agricultural School in 1960. It was renamed Palawan National School in 1962, and became the Palawan National Agricultural College. Its name was again changed to State Polytechnic College of Palawan in 1995 by virtue of R.A. 8012 , and in 2004 President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed the R.A. 9260 converting it to Western Philippines University.